Research focuses on thermal management and thermal control for industrial applications, from the study of high performance heat transfer surfaces, the enhancement of convective heat transfer to spray cooling and LED cooling. We have a particular research focus on heat pipes and two-phase passive systems. We use a range of integral transforms, analytic and numerical techniques to examine flow, temperature, heat and mass transfer in single and two-phase systems and through complex surfaces. We improve understanding of transfer processes and their application to engineering problems, including environmental and microgravity applications.
This topic will deal:
• Heat pipes and other two-phase thermal systems
• Combined heat and mass transfer analysis
• Heat exchanger testing
• Thermal management of industrial components
• Local velocity and turbulence measurement
• Heat transfer and flow resistance measurement
• Local heat transfer measurement
• Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and heat transfer.